1 Aug 2010

Gigspot: Earth, Wind & Fire | London

Last week we had the enormous priviledge of seeing Earth, Wind & Fire perform live. Although I lived in hope, I never really believed I'd get to see Earth, Wind & Fire because it seemed their touring days were over. Naturally then, when I heard they were playing London I felt like a kid with a new toy.

I was mostly convinced that they would live up my expections, but I have to admit to being a little fearful that they may now lack the spirit and energy for performing live that they so famously possessed in the seventies. Happily, my fears were obliterated by a euphoric performance encompassing a surprisingly large number of their hits and a display of musicianship like I'd never experienced before. Yes, Earth, Wind & Fire are long past their hey day, but this was Philip Bailey, Ralph Johnson and Verdine White still giving it everything they have; and in doing so dutifully respecting the musical legend and legacy they have created over the past 40 years.


It's generally agreed that singing voices fade with age, but Philip Bailey is certainly an exception to this rule of thumb. His voice was as powerful, emotive and uplifting as it was 4 decades ago and, pleasingly for me, exactly how I imagined it would be. His falsetto literally brought tears to eyes and an upwelling in every heart that felt it. If ever an alien civilisation lands on earth, we should send Philip Bailey to sing to them and all will work out just fine. Trust me.

Verdine White was immense and didn't stop moving all night. He even had enough energy at the end to let loose and dance up and down the stage. If I get to his age and have half the energy he has, I'll be happy. Ralph Johnson performed and sang beautifully also. The musicians that backed them up are wonderfully gifted - as you might expect - and it was great to see Philip Bailey's son on percussion.

To cap an incredible evening we also got to meet Verdine, Philip and Ralph after the show, which is a moment we will cherish forever. Sadly we only got to spend a few minutes with them, but all three were admirably humble and appeared genuinely grateful to their fans for coming out to see them. True music legends. True gentlemen.

Earth, Wind & Fire's impact on popular music can never be overestimated. Along with Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & fire, the biggest selling band of the seventies, served as the gravitational force that shaped the then newly forming planet that is now our world of music.

Setlist:

Boogie Wonderland
Jupiter
Getaway
Let Your Feelings Show
Serpentine Fire
Instrumental
Sing A Song
Shining Star
Kalimba Story
Drum Song
You And I
Sunny - Boney M cover
Hearts On Fire
Devotion
Introduction to the band
After The Love Has Gone
Reasons
Betcha By Golly Wow - Stylistics cover
In The Stone
Got To Get You Into My Life
Fantasy
September
Let’s Groove
Mighty Mighty

There are more Earth, Wind & Fire videos on our YouTube Channel.

No comments: