8 Jul 2009

GigSpot: Maceo Parker | Jazz Cafe

An absolute legend. The Jazz Cafe ended up adding a date that I made my sister go to because I knew she would love it (and she did). Aged 66 Maceo Parker is a performer who just didn't seem to tire. A saxophonist who cut his teeth playing with James Brown in the 60s (who, it is alleged, would fine people for a wrong note!). Maceo appears to have learnt a few dance moves from James Brown too!

We were right at the front at the Jazz Cafe and I could see how much puff he had to have to play that saxophone - just amazing. You could tell that his whole band had been with him for a while and they had it all down. British trombone player Dennis Rollins joined Maceo and was excellent. I stood right in front of Dennis and he had to bring his trombone up around me every time he played it, as I was standing so close! The sound was excellent there, partly because I was practically standing on the stage so I was hearing the instruments with my own ears and not through a speaker! Anna




What can you say about this man except that he IS funk. You don't get to play with James Brown unless you really know what you're doing, and Maceo knows the alto sax. When you watch him play the sax it becomes an extension of his body - just like Hendrix's guitar used to whenever Hendrix played. Seeing Maceo and his band at the Jazz Cafe was truly memorable and it has become one of my all time favourite gigs. I hope he comes back because I'll never tire of listening to him. Seeing him on stage, he seems like such a nice guy and you could tell he is probably quite the joker. He looked so damn happy to be up there and playing his sax and he made a few hundred people very happy that night in the Jazz Cafe. As Prince would say: "Maceo blow your horn!" Gary

More video

No comments: