3 Sept 2009

Mix Five

Damn, has it really been three weeks since Mix Four? Time flies. Anyway, Mix Five is here and it's producing radioactive levels of funk. You better strap yourself to something before listening to this one because the groove is so deep you just may get sucked into a hyperfunk oblivion.
Here's the tracklist:

1). The Commodores - 'Too Hot Ta Trot' - from their 1977 album 'Commodores Live!'
2). Roy Ayers - 'Our Time Is Coming' - from Destination Motherland: The Anthology (2003)
3). Incognito - 'Roots (Back To A Way Of Life)' - from their 1995 album '100 Degrees and Rising'
4). Maceo Parker - 'Uptown Up' - from his 1998 album 'Funkoverload'
5). The Outlaw Gang - 'Funky Fast Bump' - from Florida Funk: 1968-1975 (2007)
6). James Brown - 'Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine' - from his 1970 album 'Sex Machine'
7). Rick James - 'Love Gun' - from The Ultimate Rick James (1997)
8). Freeez - 'Flying High (12")' - from Freeez Frame! The Best of Freeez (1993)
9). Indeep - 'Last Night A DJ Saved My Life' - from 12"/80's Dance (2008)
10). The Blackbyrds - 'Rock Creek Park' - from their 1973 self-titled album
11). Donald Byrd - 'Thank You For Funking Up My Life' - from the 1978 album of the same name


Incognito make their, perhaps a little over-due, debut on the VibeRide mixes. More from them to come. I felt the need to bring Maceo back into the fold and 'Uptown Up' seemed perfect for the occasion.

I've included for the first time a track from a great compilation album called 'Florida Funk: 1968-1975', which has lots of old and scratchy sounding funk on it. Makes you feel kind of nostalgic when you listen to it. I like that. They'll be more from that album to come.

The 'Godfather of Soul' James Brown pops up in this one and Sex Machine is probably my favourite. JB for me straddled the border between funk and soul. Sometimes you listen and think 'soul' and other times you think 'funk'. I guess he just blended the two pretty seamlessly, which is good enough for me.

I think everyone on the planet knows 'Last Night A DJ Saved My Life' and so at first I was a little reluctant to include it as I have a natural aversion to things that are very popular, but I decided that I like it too much not to put it in.

No comments: